Hluhluwe Imfolozi Big 5 Safari Overnight Tour
The Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve is not only one of Africa’s oldest proclaimed Big-5 game reserves, but it was also instrumental in breeding the Rhino back from the edge of extinction and have now even turned their attention to one of Africa’s most endangered species, the African Wild Dog.
The Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve is home to not only the Big 5 (Lion, RHino, Elepaht, Leopard, Buffalo) but a host of other animals as well, including Nyala, Zebra, Giraffe, Kudu, Baboon and so many more.
For the birders, the Hluhluwe River Flood Plain is one of the only areas in the whole of South Africa where Yellow Throated, Pink Throated and Orange Throated Long Claw species can be seen together on this Hluhluwe Imfolozi Safari Tour.
On this tour there is also enjoying a visit to Emdoneni Cheetah Project as an optional extra. Here four cat species are rehabilitated for release back into the wild. Visitors can enjoy a tour of the facilities and view Cheetah, Caracal, Serval and African Wild Cat.
We also offer a cruise on the famed St Lucia estuary located within the UNESCO heritage site, Isimangaliso Wetlands Park.
- Day 1
- We collect guests from their accommodation in the Durban or surrounding areas and start on the 2,5 hour drive north to Zululand. On the way your guide will chat about the history of Durban, the Zulu people and of course point out sites of interest along the way. Our first stop is at the Emdoneni Cheetah Project where guests will an opportunity to tour the facility and interact with some of the cats at the project. After the tour of Emdoneni, we head into the northern most entrance of the Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve. We will enjoy a short game drive before reaching our overnight accommodation at Hilltop Camp. After check in we enjoy a lunch on the terrace of the camp. Guests can decide on either an afternoon game drive with their guide, or optionally they can arrange for a game drive in the parks open vehicles. Finally guests can enjoy dinner at the Boma Restaurant and if the weather allows, a short tour of the starry skies follows before retiring for the night.
- Day 2
- It's an early morning start as guests enjoy a short game drive followed by breakfast. After breakfast we check out the camp and then enjoy a game drive to the main exit gate. After leaving the park it's a 60 min drive to St Lucia for the 2 hour cruise on the estuary. This is an opportunity for guests to view crocodiles, hippo's and even possibly shark. After returning for the 2 hour cruise, it's a quick lunch in St Lucia before returning back to Durban.
- Pick up and drop off in the Durban or surrounding areas.
- All entry fees and conservation fees.
- Dinner (x1) and breakfast (x1)
- Complimentary bottled water.
- Open vehicle game drives.
- Beverages at dinner.
To book this tour simply use our contact form below to get in touch.