Durban Township Heritage Day Tour
Durban has a rich heritage that can be explored on this Durban township day tour.
Situated about 15 min west of Durban is the KwaMashu township. This sprawling complex is steeped in rich history and culture and is often missed by visitors to Durban.
On our Durban Township Heritage Day Tour, you will have the opportunity learn more about the life and times of Mahatma Gandhi during his time in Durban and South Africa and why he become such a great man through his experiences in South Africa. You will also have an opportunity to visit the very home he lived in whilst in Durban and learn more about his development of “passive resistance.”
Nearby lies the Ohlanga Institute where Nelson Mandela famously cast the first free and fair election vote in South Africa and you will find out why it was cast here. This is the site of the first school for African girls in Africa and was started a John Langalibilela Dube and continues as a school today.
You’ll also learn more about a group of individuals known as the Shembe which are today one of the largest religious organisations in South Africa.
There’s a great deal to learn about Durban and this tour is one of the best ways in which to do it.
- Durban Township Heritage Tour
- We start our day by collecting you at 9am from your accommodation anywhere in the Durban or surrounding areas and make our way to the township of KwaMashu. On the way your guide will chat to you about the history of Durban, the Zulu people and Indian people. We'll also discuss the apartheid system which led to the creation of KwaMashu. Our first stop will be at the home of Mahatma Gandhi where we'll learn more about the heritage of Indian people in Durban as well as the great man Gandhi himself. Next up is the Ohlanga School where Nelson Mandela chose to cast the first free and fair election vote in South Africa and why this site is so important. Up next is the Mzinyate River where age old caves exist that are occupied by people still today. We follow this up by learning about the Shembe religious group before finally enjoy a spot of lunch in Durban and returning to your accommodation.
- Pick and drop off at accommodation in the Durban or surrounding areas.
- Entry to all sites.
- Private cultural guide throughout.
- Lunch is for your account.
- Tips and curios.
Booking a Durban Township Heritage Day Tour
To book this tour, or simply get further information, simply get in touch using one fo the convenient options below.
- Give the office a call on : +27(0)317623374
- Call our office mobile on : +27(0)749956669
- Send us an email on : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click the button below