Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana Overnight Tour
The battles of Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana still fascinate visitors today. Join us on a Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana overnight tour and experience these amazing sites for yourself with your private specialized battlefield guide. This is an all inclusive trip and one you'll remember for a lifetime. Book your spot today!
The province of KwaZulu-Natal is rich in history, and none more so than the history of the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. The names of Chelmsford and Cetshwayo, Dunn and Harford, Dabulamanzi and Fere, Colenso and Durnford are still spoken of today, as are the infamous sites of Isandlwana, Rorkes Drift and the Ultimatum Tree. Join us on our Anglo Zulu Battlefields Overnight Tour to experience the chilling tales of bravery, sacrifice and honor.
On this overnight tour we focus on the two most important battles of the Anglo Zulu War of 1879; the Battle of Isandlwana and the Battle of Rorkes Drift. We also visit KwaDukuza for insight to the Zulu people, the battle site of Gingindlovu as well as Fugitives Drift.
- Day 1
- Your specialist battlefields guide will collect you from your accommodation in the Durban or surrounding areas. We depart for the first site, KwaDukuza. It's here where King Shaka of the Zulu people had his great military kraal and where he was later assassinated. We learn a great deal about Zulu military tactics and innovations at this site. From here we travel on towards the Battlefield of Gingindlovu, passing by the Battlefield of eNdondakusuka where your guide will tell you more about the pivotal battle in Zulu history. We continue on to the Battlefield of Gingindlovu where your guide will chat to you about the 2nd invasion of Zululand. From here we continue onto Isandlwana with a picnic lunch along the way. On arrival visitors can enjoy the museum at Isandlwana and then walk the battlefield with your specialist guide. Visitors will learn more about why the Zulu's were so successful at this battle and how this marked a decided turning point in the British attitude towards this war. Finally we retire to our hotel on the banks of the Buffalo River made famous at the Battle of Rorkes Drift.
- Day 2
- After an enjoyable breakfast we check out of our accommodation and travel to Furgitives Drift and relate the horrifying tale of the survivors desperate dash for the safety of Natal. It's here that Lt's Melville and Coghill earned the first posthumously awarded Victoria Crosses. After this visit we head to our final destiantion, and for many the most imporatant destination, Rorkes Drift. It's at this site that the trader James Rorkes had built his post that was later commandeered by Lord Chelmsford to use as a store and hospital during Anglo Zulu War. The Battle of Rorkes Drift is discussed in great detail and visitors have an opportunity to enjoy walking around the very site as well as viewing the museum that is currently housed in the very building the fight took place in and around. After a lunch at the picnic site, we depart back for Durban.
- Pick up and drop off at your accommodation in the Durban or surrounding area.
- All entry and conservation fees.
- Overnight accommodation (per person sharing).
- Dinner (x1), breakfast (x1), lunch (x2)
- Complimentary bottled water included.
- Dinner beverages not included.
Booking a Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana Overnight Tour
If you wish to book this overnight tour, or get more information on this or any of the other tours we offer, simply use the contact for below and we’ll get back to you.