Vasco Da Gama Monument
Along what’s now Margaret Mncadi Avenue (formerly Victoria Embankment) is a ironwork monument that was presented by the Portuguese community in 1898 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Vasco Da Gama’s arrival off the coast of Natal. Initially installed in Mahatma Ghandi Drive (Point Road) it was moved to it’s present location on the grass almost opposite “John Ross House”.
The monument itself was made by a Scottish firm, Walter McFarlane & Co at their Saracen Foundry in Glasgow. Resembling a chapel of some sort, the monument has intricate ironwork with a small statue of the biblical character of Samson.
Nearby the monument is a stone plaque commemorating the 500th anniversary of Da Gama’s birth (born around 1460/69). The plaque was unveiled by the Portuguese ambassador in 1969.