It’s been another great week of tours, with loads of highlights and memorable moments. We’ve had great lion sightings, a leopard sightings, excellent general game an some really fantastic birds sightings as well. The one tour that stands out though is the last – and it had to do with elephants… lots of elephants! And it all happened on an overnight safari tour from Durban to the Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve in Zululand, some 3 hours north of Durban.
Overnight Safari Tour to Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve
My guest had visited South Africa some time ago and had even spent a day or two in one of South Africa’s acclaimed reserves. This particular reserve is well known for it’s elephant populations and usually, you have around a 95% chance of seeing elephants. As si happened my client landed up in the 5% who don’t get to see them.
On the way up to the park we chatted about the history of Durban and of course the Zulu people, as well as their traditions and the culture. We also stopped at St Lucia for the 2 hour estuary cruise on the estuary and just after lunch entered into the Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve.
Of course having heard my clients story about not seeing elephants on a previous tour, I was more determined than ever to find some. In the days previous we had come across quite a few herds, so I had a good idea where to start looking at least.
We headed towards the northern section of the park (Hluhluwe) and at a picnic site called Maphamula we found the mother lode! In the Hluhluwe river were about 60 elephants, at least 5 different herds that arrived together and were now socialising and playing the rivier.
It was an amazing sighting, even for me. My client and I just stood quietly on the grassy bank overlooking the river and just watched the elephants as they enjoyed their time in the river (check out the video on YouTube here).
And that wasn’t all! The following day after visiting the Emdoneni Cheetah Project nearby, we returned to the park and while exploring a portion of the southern section of the park, we came across a very small breeding heard of elephants. We had a great opportunity to just once again sit quietly and watch as they browsed the trees around us before quietly moving off.
This does rate as one of my memorable tours simply because it’s so enjoyable to watch a guest see these animals fro the first time in their natural habitats. Can’t ask for much more than that.
Booking an Overnight Safari Tour
If you wish to book an overnight safari tour with us, or simply wish to get information about any of the other tours we offer, simply submit the contact form below and we’ll be in touch.